Tuesday, February 8, 2011

A Quick Painting Trick

I promise to have my china cabinet ready for its full reveal soon, I'm really happy with how it is looking, but working sure gets in the way of doing fun artsy-craftsy stuff. In the meantime I wanted to share a quick trick I use for painting small bits of hardware, like screws. Since the screws and other hardware that came with the cabinet were shiney brass and ugly, I decided to paint them oiled bronze. Then I didn't feel like going out in the snow and cold for the oiled bronze paint, so I decided to paint them with some leftover brown spray paint I had on hand.

Since only the tops of the screws needed to be done, I poked them into an empty cardboard box to keep them upright and sprayed away. Easy peasy.



I also used this trick awhile back when painting the finials for my wooden curtain rods - although in this case I wasn't smart enough to figure out the trick before I started so I stood there holding onto the screw part on the bottom with the finial all freshly covered in wet paint wondering what to do with it. Grabbed the box, grabbed a pair of needle nosed plyers, used one of the unpainted finials to poke a hole, then used the plyers to grip the screw and carefully eased it into the box. Yeah, it was probably dry by the time I did all that, but I knew better for next time.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...